02 - Wivelsfield Railway Station Area
The Wivelsfield Railway Station area was identified as an area for improvement in the Town Wide Strategy and Neighbourhood Plan and is targeted for a package of schemes that will provide better access and connectivity to the station.
Work to the station bridge to provide a brighter and more welcoming station area was completed in November 2020. The murals were developed with the support and input of the local community. This short film tells the story of how this was done.
Before and after photos:-
Works to improve walking and cycling access from the south to link Leylands Road with an existing traffic free route between Junction Road and St. Wilfrid’s Road on land adjacent to the station are complete. An indicative map of the scheme can be viewed here .
Before and after improvements.
Other future proposals to improve the Wivelsfield Station Area include measures to:
- Provide step free access to the north bound (west) platform and ticket office;
- Relocate and upgrade the current signalised crossing located to the west of the station to align with wider improvements to pedestrian and cycle links to the station area;
- Provide additional safe and secure cycle storage:
- Formalise the pick-up / drop-off arrangements for the station;
- Formalise and improve pedestrian crossing provision between existing bus stops;
- Provide raised table pedestrian and cycle crossings at the Gladstone Road side road junction to provide safer crossings;
- Improve pedestrian links between the station and Junction Road;
- Improve walking and cycling access from the south to link with existing traffic free route between Junction Road and St. Wilfrid’s Road;
- Examine options to access a future car park and additional station facilities such as more cycle parking to the north of Leylands Road to support the growth in station users.
The station improvement schemes were subject to public engagement May – June 2020. Details can be found in the links below: