Parks and Open Spaces
The improvements upgrade a number of walking and cycling routes across the town’s parks and open spaces. The remaining Phase 1 works are due to complete Spring 2023.
The improvement provide:
- Shared walking and cycling paths where possible, typically 3-metres in width;
- Resurfaced (or surfacing) where required with an appropriate finish;
- Removal of barriers to provide accessible facilities to all;
- Signposted routes where using road carriageway (all on-road routes deemed quiet routes);
- Dropped kerbs and improved highway crossing points;
- Opportunities for wayfinding and for place making such as benches, wildlife enhancements; features (note these elements of the scheme are likely to be delivered in a later phase).
West End Recreation Ground - before and after improvements.
Fairfield Recreation Ground - before and after improvements.
Better Links To Your Town Centre
The £21.8m package of transport improvements for the town centre will help create more sustainable transport measures, improve connectivity, congestion and journey times. This will include improved access arrangements for Burgess Hill and Wivelsfield train stations as well as new and improved cycle routes across town.
Upgrading Road Infrastructure
A £23m investment into the A2300 will help drive forward the new high-tech corridor of business park developments by widening and upgrading this main access route into Burgess Hill from the A23. These improvements will help relieve congestion and also help provide a better onward link to the wider south east region.